No.244Okonomiyaki Cooking with locals (local food experience)
Per person: 4,500JPY Available
Every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday Required
90 minutes (18:00～19:30) Language English
Would you like Okonomiyaki, a Japanese local food for today’s dinner?
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake grilled on a steel plate.
Its main ingredients are wheat flour, cabbage, egg and your choice of beef, pork or squid.
How To Make Okonomiyaki…
1. Mix shredded cabbage(prepared), Japanese broth, wheat flour, grated yam(prepared) and egg. Make sure to leave it fluffy and not to mix too much.
2. Grill the mixture on the well-heated steel plate. Forming the mixture a little thicker on the plate is the key to make okomiyaki fluffy!
3. Beside it, grill slices of beef or pork on the plate. After lightly browned the both sides, put them on okonomiyaki and cover it with a lid. Just be patient until it get cooked through. In case you choose squid, don’t forget to add it to the mixture before grilling it.
4. After being cooked through, flip it with a tiny steel spatula called kote. This is the real thrill! If you could flip it well, you have talent for cooking okonomiyaki.
5. After grilling the other side well, put a Worcestershire-style sauce and mayonnaise on okonomiyaki, and top with dried bonito flakes and seaweed flakes. It’s fun to see dried bonito flakes dancing in the rising steam.
6. Slice off a wedge using the kote and put it on your plate. It’s time to bite it! Itadakimasu!
In the program, a local full of love of okonomiyaki teaches you how to cook okonomiyaki. Then, you try to make one for yourself.
You might have a chance to chat with clienteles and find a new aspect of Nara’s charm.
After the program, why don’t you go Izakaya-hopping in the neighborhood with well-reserved traditional buildings.
Make sure not to mix too much.
Great combination of sauce and mayonnaise.
|Program||Okonomiyaki Cooking with locals (local food experience)|
Per person:4,500 JPY
|Available time period||
All season program
|Required time||90 minutes (18:00～19:30)|
|Schedule||18:00 Check in at Nara Visitor Center & Inn and walk to the okonomiyaki restaurant “Some”.
18:05 ～ 19:30 Cook okonomiyaki with local instructor's lecture.
19:30 Finish the program at the restaurant.
|Requirements for participation||●Please inform us if you have food allergy or you are vegetarian.
●Ingredients include eggs and wheat flour. So, please understand that people who has gluten allergy or are Vegan cannot participate this program.
●No aprons available. Please be advised that your clothing may get a little dirty during cooking. Just in case, please wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
●Minimum: 2 participants, Maximum: 4 participants
Participation by 1 person is negotiable.
|Included in this fee||●Ingredients
●One glass of alcoholic drinks(beer, Japanese sake, shochu) or soft drinks(Coke, orange juice, oolong tea).
|Not included in fees||●Additional order of drinks and foods. Please pay on the spot if ordered.
|Meeting location||NARA Visitor Center & Inn|
|Meeting location Detail||3 Ikeno-cho, Nara City
|Address of meeting location||
3 Ikeno-cho, Nara-city, Nara-prefecture
15 minutes walk from JR Nara Station.
10 minutes walk from Kintetsu Nara Station.
Show Big Map
|Payment method||Please pay with credit card.|
Simple English with gestures
*The days in gray mean that this activity is not available on that day.
* Please click on a day in the calendar, enter your information and click submit.
* Submission of this request form does not complete the reservation process.
* Applications are on first-come, first-serve basis. Therefore, even if the application was submitted successfully, there is a possibility that the activity has already been fully booked. If the guide cannot accept your request on your desired date, the guide/instructor may offer you other dates as an alternative.
* After applying, the guide/instructor will reply you about your request within a few days via email.
* If you don't receive a reply from the guide/instructor within a few days after submitting the request form, please kindly contact the guide/instructor directly.
* The deadline for submission of request is 1 days before the desired date to allow for processing time. Therefore please send request early.
Nara Visitors Bureau is a DMC (Destination Management Company) based in this ancient city Nara. We offer various tours that are not just sight-seeing visits, but are cultural and historical experiences which you can feel, touch and taste the real Nara.
Try to cook a Kansai-style okonomiyaki with local instructor’s lecture!
Company:Nara Visitor's Bureau
Address:3 Ikeno-cho Nara-city Nara-prefecture