No.298Experience Tatami Mats with a Craftsman
per person：4,500 JPY Available
All season program Required
2 hours(10:00～12:00） Language English
Make a mini tatami mat with a craftsman at Oda Tatamiten, a long-established, 120-year-old tatami handicraft shop!
First, you can watch a hand-stitch demonstration by Mr. Osamu Osa, the shop owner and craftsman. It is a very rare opportunity to see first-hand the time-honored artisanship handed down from generation to generation.
If you wish, you can try to stitch a tatami mat.
After the demonstration, it's time to make your own mini tatami mat! Mr. Oda kindly shows you how to do it, so all ages can enjoy the program!
Craftsman teaches you kindly.
Original mini-tatami mat.
Oda Tatamiten won the Good Design Award 2016
|Program||Experience Tatami Mats with a Craftsman|
per person:4,500 JPY
|Available time period||
All season program
|Required time||2 hours|
10:00 - Meet with Mr. Oda (the shop owner) at the west exit of Kintetsu Tamawamoto Station. Then, walk for five minutes to Oda Tatamiten. Or you can go directly to Oda Tatamiten by yourself.
10:05 - The program starts at Oda Tatamiten!
・Visitors normally cannot come and see inside a tatami studio. See the hand-stitch demonstration by Mr. Odamu Oda, a tatami craftsman. If you wish, you can try to stitch a tatami mat.
〇Making a Mini Tatami Mat
・Mr. Oda teaches you how to make it and many interesting things about tatami. This experience will deepen your interest on tatami culture.
・You can take home the mini tatami mat that you made in the program.
・If you have already experienced making a mini tatami mat, you can try to make a tatami picture stand.
・We show you the room where original goods are exhibited. You can have a look the tatami wallet which won the "Good Design Award 2016".
・You can purchase goods at the shop. Credit cards are accepted.
12:00 - Finish the program. Mr. Oda sees you off at Kintetsu Tawaramoto Station. Or you can say good-bye at the shop.
|Requirements for participation||Children under the age 12 need to participate with their parents.
-Minimum: 2 participants
-Maxim : 10 participants
|Things to bring / required items||Nothing in particular|
|Included in this fee||*Mini tatami mat making experience
|Not included in fees||*Personal expences|
|Meeting location||Kintetsu Tawaramoto Station, west entrance gate|
|Address of meeting location||
171 tawaramoto-cho shiki-gun, Tawaramoto-cho Shiki-gun, Nara-prefecture
To Tawaramoto Station:
- 60 minutes by Kintetsu Railway from Kintetsu Osaka-Namba Station.
- 60 minutes by Kintetsu Railway from Kintetsu Kyoto Station.
Show Big Map
|Payment method||credit card|
highlights in this area
|Please enjoy the special experience of making a mini-tatami mat.|
*The days in gray mean that this activity is not available on that day.
* Please click on a day in the calendar, enter your information and click submit.
* Submission of this request form does not complete the reservation process.
* Applications are on first-come, first-serve basis. Therefore, even if the application was submitted successfully, there is a possibility that the activity has already been fully booked. If the guide cannot accept your request on your desired date, the guide/instructor may offer you other dates as an alternative.
* After applying, the guide/instructor will reply you about your request within a few days via email.
* If you don't receive a reply from the guide/instructor within a few days after submitting the request form, please kindly contact the guide/instructor directly.
* The deadline for submission of request is 14 days before the desired date to allow for processing time. Therefore please send request early.
Oda Tatamiten started its business 120 years ago in the town of Tawaramoto in Nara Prefecture.
We won the “Good Design Award 2016” for our tatami wallet.
We work every day to advance Tatami culture, to take it further.
Making a mini tatami mat experience at Oda Tatamiten, the long-established tatami handicraft shop for 120 years!
Address: Tawaramoto-cho Shiki-gun Nara-prefecture