No.118Gripped Sumi Experience
Adult/Child 1,620 yen(including tax)
A room charge occurs if you rent a meeting room for a big group.
2018/04/01 – 2019/03/31 Required
Approx. 40 minutes for a small group. Language Japanese,English
You can have an experience of creating “gripped sumi” by squeezing raw ink with your hands in a workshop filled with the drifting scents of classical Japan.
In addition to creating your own personal, nuanced Nara Sumi (and keeping your hands clean), you can also take part in a Workshop Tour and a Lesson on Sumi.
Please experience the aroma, the softness, and the warmth in the moment that you grip raw sumi.
You can take your Gripped Sumi home with you in a Paulownia wooden box, from a world where the shape of your hand and fingerprints mold your own original, one of a kind creation.
lecture by a master
|Program||Gripped Sumi Experience|
|Available time period||
2018-04-01 - 2019-03-31
|Available time period Detail||This program is available between 9:00 and 18:00.
Please make a book by 21 o'clock on the day before your preferred date. Please inquire about the availability later than that.
|Required time||Approx. 40 minutes for a small group.|
|Schedule||1. History of Nara sumi and introduction of materials (20 mins)
2. Actual demonstration (10 mins)
3. Experience gripping sumi yourself (10 mins)
4. Carry it home in a Paulownia wooden box
|group / party||Up to 200 participants can be accepted.|
|Requirements for participation||Available to all ages
Minimum: 1 participant
Maximum: 200 participants
|Included in this fee||Making gripped sumi fee|
|Address of meeting location||
547 Sanjo-cho, Nara-city, Nara-prefecture
5 mins walk from JR Nara Station
10 mins walk from Kintetsu Nara Station
Show Big Map
|Pick Up Service||No pick up service available|
|Payment method||The payment is accepted in cash or with a credit card on the spot.|
Simple English only.
highlights in this area
|Please experience the aroma, the softness, and the warmth in the moment that you grip raw sumi.|
*The days in gray mean that this activity is not available on that day.
* Please click on a day in the calendar, enter your information and click submit.
* Submission of this request form does not complete the reservation process.
* Applications are on first-come, first-serve basis. Therefore, even if the application was submitted successfully, there is a possibility that the activity has already been fully booked. If the guide cannot accept your request on your desired date, the guide/instructor may offer you other dates as an alternative.
* After applying, the guide/instructor will reply you about your request within a few days via email.
* If you don't receive a reply from the guide/instructor within a few days after submitting the request form, please kindly contact the guide/instructor directly.
* The deadline for submission of request is 1 days before the desired date to allow for processing time. Therefore please send request early.
Mr. Yoshiteru NAGANO
Why don’t you try to create Sumi which is one of the Nara’s traditional crafts, in our workshop filled with the drifting scents of ancient Japan?
Starting with the lecture about Nara Sumi, we show you the raw ink shaping demonstration by a sumi craftsman. Then, you can make your own “Gripped Sumi” by your hands and take it home with you.
An experience you can only find in Nara. Won’t you try making high-quality ink with your hands?
Address:547 Sanjo-cho Nara-city Nara-prefecture