No.299Cycling Tour in Ancient Asuka
Per person：6,000 JPY Available
All year Required
Approx. 3 hours Language Japanese,English
Visiting around nature, everyday life in Satoyama settlement, and historical sites.
How about soaking yourself in a nostalgic atmosphere in ancient Asuka, where the whole village is protected by the “Ancient Capitals Preservation Law.”
A local instructor will take you around the Asuka village by bicycle at a leisurely pace.
Even if it is your first visit to Asuka, they say you’ll feel nostalgic somehow, and foreign visitors are no exception.
It may be because the historical and cultural assets together with its surrounding nature have been cherished for long, and protected by the “Ancient Capitals Preservation Law.”
During the tour, you’ll enjoy solving the mysteries of ancient tombs and ancient stone structures; imagining the ancient city of 1,400 years ago; and strolling along beautiful terraced rice fields that are beyond description.
You’ll also visit and see everyday life in the country side with peaceful views of Satoyama settlement. This cycling tour offers you exquisite experiences; seeing, hearing, feeling, thinking, and imagining.
Why don’t you enjoy a cycling tour while greeting local villagers and communicating with them along the way?
Ancient tortoise stone called Kameishi.
Beautiful Inabuchi terraced rice fields.
Visit the Ishibutai Tumulus, a major spot.
|Program||Cycling Tour in Ancient Asuka|
Per person:6,000 JPY
|Available time period||
2018-08-10 - 2019-03-31
|Available time period Detail||Please ask us for the availability during the year-end and New Year holidays.|
|Required time||Approx. 3 hours
|Schedule||9:00 Meet at Asuka Station, Kintetsu Railway (then, we will walk to a bicycle rental shop)
Introduce each other, adjust a bicycle saddle,
and take a lecture on measures in case of emergency.
9:15 Set out for cycling!
1. A short stop at the Mausoleum of the 29th Emperor Kinmei.
- What is it like inside an ancient tomb that is managed by the Imperial Household Agency?
(Let’s have a look and compare it with "Ishibutai Tumulus" without mounds where you’ll visit later.)
2. Solve the mysteries of ancient tortoise stone called "Kameishi."
- Mysterious legends and for what purpose it was made in the first place!?
3. Learn about the landscapes in Asuka village protected by the "Ancient Capitals Preservation Law."
- Why do the buildings in Asuka village including an elementary school
and even convenient stores have tiled roofs?
(The secret of dark gray tiled roofs, plastered walls, and low-rise houses)
4. From the viewing spot at the Former Site of Asukakyo Capital,
imagine the days of 1,400 years ago.
- It is spectacular to view the place where Japan started as a nation and the capital
of ancient Japan was established.
5. Let’s go to Oku-asuka; the place of movie shooting!
- Beautiful Inabuchi terraced rice fields,
which are one of the best 100 in Japan, as well as gigantic scarecrows are must-sees!
- Enjoy crossing a steppingstone bridge over a river,
which is assumed to be made in the Asuka period (6th - 8th century).
- Explore and see everyday life of Satoyama settlement in Inabuchi area.
6. Visit the Ishibutai Tumulus, a major spot in Asuka village.
- Let’s go inside the Tumulus; horizontal stone chamber.
(What is different from the Imperial ancient tomb? Why are there no mounds?)
Around 12:00 The tour ends.
|group / party||-Minimum: 2 participants
-Maximum: 6 participants
|Requirements for participation||Age: 15 or above (Suitable for bicycle beginners and above, provided they can ride a bicycle.)
Minimum number of participants: Two (maximum: 6)
- Electric assist bicycles (adult size)
- A bicycle saddle is adjustable for a height range of approx. 140 cm to 185 cm.
- Please let us know beforehand if your height is other than the above range.
|Things to bring / required items||- Please come in comfortable clothing and shoes suitable for cycling.
- Water or drinks of your choice
- Maybe useful to bring a backpack type bag, a hat, and sunglasses.
- Rainwear (If needed, please bring it.)
|Included in this fee||- Bicycle rental fee
- Local attendant fee
|Not included in fees||- Personal expenses|
|Meeting location||Rental cycle store "Himawari"|
|Meeting location Detail||Meeting time (09:00)
A short walk from "Asuka" station
(There is one ticket gate only.)
|Address of meeting location||
6-1 Koshi, Asuka village, Asuka-mura Takaichi-gun, Nara-prefecture
- 20 minutes from Katsuragi Interchange of Minami Hanna Road.
- 40 minutes from Tenri Interchange of Nishi Meihan Expressway
- 40 minutes from Kouriyama Interchange of Keinawa Expressway.
By public transportation
- From Osaka:
Take limited express for Yoshino at Kintetsu Osaka Abenobashi Station and get off at Kashihara Jingumae Station. 40 minutes by limited express (45 minutes by express)
- From Kyoto:
Take a train from Kyoto Station, Kintetsu Railway, change trains at Kashihara Jingumae Station, and get off at Asuka Station.
70 minutes by limited express (80 minutes by express)
* Please check train routes and connections beforehand.The number of trains is limited.
Show Big Map
|Pick Up Service||None|
|Payment method||Please pay in cash on the spot.|
English is also available with simple English and flip cards.
*The days in gray mean that this activity is not available on that day.
* Please click on a day in the calendar, enter your information and click submit.
* Submission of this request form does not complete the reservation process.
* Applications are on first-come, first-serve basis. Therefore, even if the application was submitted successfully, there is a possibility that the activity has already been fully booked. If the guide cannot accept your request on your desired date, the guide/instructor may offer you other dates as an alternative.
* After applying, the guide/instructor will reply you about your request within a few days via email.
* If you don't receive a reply from the guide/instructor within a few days after submitting the request form, please kindly contact the guide/instructor directly.
* The deadline for submission of request is 7 days before the desired date to allow for processing time. Therefore please send request early.
Nara Visitors Bureau is a DMC (Destination Management Company) based in this ancient city Nara. We offer various tours that are not just sight-seeing visits, but are cultural and historical experiences which you can feel, touch and taste the real Nara.
This is a 3-hour cycling tour visiting around nature, everyday life in Satoyama settlement, and historical sites.
Company:Nara Visitor's Bureau
Address:3 Ikeno-cho Nara-city Nara-prefecture