No.173Cooking Japanese rice in traditional oven at "Shikano-fune, Kamado" (Local food experience)
Per person：3,500 JPY Available
Every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Required
2 hours (15:00 - 17:00) Language Japanese,English
Make rice balls cooked by Japanese traditional oven with firewood.
It is well-known for its delicious Japanese rice cooked by traditional Japanese oven and side dishes of local products.
Inside of the building, there is also a grocery store which sells a wide range of food paired up with rice and utensils to enjoy rice more.
The workshop will provide you experience that you can put firewood into Japanese traditional oven 'Kamado' and then cook the rice grown in Nara region. It’s also fun to make rice balls with the freshly cooked rice. Enjoy the flavor of the rice with the miso soup and side dishes!
Japanese Traditional Oven "Kamado"
Rice freshly wood-fired cooked in Japanese traditional oven
|Program||Cooking Japanese rice in traditional oven at "Shikano-fune, Kamado" (Local food experience)|
Per person:3,500 JPY
|Available time period||
2018-05-25 - 2019-03-31
|Available time period Detail||Every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.|
|Required time||2 hours|
|Schedule||1) Preparation and instruction
2) Cook rice in traditional Japanese oven with firewood
3) Make rice balls
|Requirements for participation||-Children under the age 12 need to participate with their parents.
- Minimum: 2 participants (Solo participant is negotiable.)
- Maximum: 8 participants
|Things to bring / required items||-Please be advised that your clothing may get a little dirty. Please wear the clothing you can afford to get dirty.|
|Included in this fee||Full set of materials and equipment|
|Not included in fees||Personal expenses|
|Meeting location||Shika no fune, Kamado|
|Meeting location Detail||Please come to Shika no fune Kamado by 15:00.|
|Address of meeting location||
11 Inoue cho , Nara-city, Nara-prefecture
From Kintetsu/JR Nara Station:
- 17 minutes on foot from Kintetsu Nara station.
- 22 minutes on foot from JR Nara station.
- Take Nara Kotsu bus (Nara city loop line) and alight at Tanaka-cho bus stop.
Show Big Map
|Pick Up Service||No pick up/drop off|
|Payment method||Payment by credit card|
highlights in this area
|The taste of the rice cooked in Japanese traditional oven is exceptionally good!!|
*The days in gray mean that this activity is not available on that day.
* Please click on a day in the calendar, enter your information and click submit.
* Submission of this request form does not complete the reservation process.
* Applications are on first-come, first-serve basis. Therefore, even if the application was submitted successfully, there is a possibility that the activity has already been fully booked. If the guide cannot accept your request on your desired date, the guide/instructor may offer you other dates as an alternative.
* After applying, the guide/instructor will reply you about your request within a few days via email.
* If you don't receive a reply from the guide/instructor within a few days after submitting the request form, please kindly contact the guide/instructor directly.
* The deadline for submission of request is 3 days before the desired date to allow for processing time. Therefore please send request early.
Shika no fune, Kamado
“Shika no fune”, a complex facility of a tourist information, a restaurant, a grocery shop, a cafe and a gallery.
We cook rice with firewood in Japanese traditional oven. Please enjoy the local products and the freshly cooked rice.
Company:Shika no fune, Kamado
Address:11 Inoue cho Nara-city Nara-prefecture